The United States said on Tuesday it will provide $52 million (£41.6 million) in funding to Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido, an escalation of support
According to a Tuesday statement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the funding will be destined for independent media, civil society, the health sector and the opposition-controlled National Assembly.
In addition, USAID administrator Mark Green announced on Wednesday that the US will commit $36 million in aid to Venezuela, as part of a relief program led by the United Nations. It is not clear at the present time whether this sum is part of the $52 million or an additional disbursement.
The Trump administration had previously diverted over $40 million in aid destined for Central America to fund the Venezuelan opposition. According to a USAID memo seen by the LA Times, the money was destined for salaries, airfare, training, propaganda, among other budget items.
Guaido proclaimed himself president in January and has since led several attempts to oust the Maduro government, including a failed military putsch on April 30.
The news was released by The Associated Press (AP) on Tuesday, September 24 and highlights that it`s the first time , directly, Trump Administration gives money to the deputy of the National Assembly.
According to the media, last year the United States allocated 15 million to anti-Chavez, less than a third of what it authorizes today.
According to a senior official consulted by the AP, 19 million dollars of the total allocated will be used “the Guaidó forces have secure communications, money for travel expenses, training in budget preparation and other tools that prepare them to govern if they manage to displace Maduro from power. ”
Secretary Pompeo says US has sent an additional 119 million dollars of “help” to Venezuelans
Today at #UNGA, we announced $119M in aid for lifesaving programs in #Venezuela & the region, bringing total U.S. assistance for this ongoing crisis to $568M. We stand united w/ the Venezuelan people & remain committed to getting them the help they deserve. #EstamosUnidosVE pic.twitter.com/HHilMtNX6J
— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) September 25, 2019
This Tuesday, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza denied that the US has sent humanitarian aid to Venezuela, as President Trump has shouted.
In addition, he recalled that the UN created the Humanitarian Response Plan for Venezuela and , of the 223 million that merit for this year, they have not even been able to collect 20.The foreign minister said to the US and its allies in the region “are not interested in the humanitarian” in the South American country. “It’s false”,