According to Japan, the Liaoning aircraft carrier crossed the Miyako Strait and entered the western Pacific Ocean.
According to Japan Maritime Self-Defense Forces press service, on morning of April 3, 2021, the PLA carrier strike group led by Liaoning aircraft carrier crossed the Miyako Strait and entered the western Pacific Ocean. The Miyako Strait is an open international sea passage between the islands of Okinawa and Miyako, approximately 145 nautical miles wide, ships can freely pass through without any prior request or permission.
As can be seen from the photographs taken by a Japanese patrol aircraft, the PLA Navy’s carrier strike group included:
1. Liaoning aircraft carrier;
2. New oceanic supply ship Hulunhu complex. The ship is designed to replenish the stocks of groups of aircraft carriers and other types of warships on the high seas. She is the largest ship in the world for this purpose, with a total displacement of 55 thousand tons, a maximum length of 239.5 m and a width of 30.5 m;
3. Destroyer project 055 Nanchang;
4. Destroyer project 052D Chengdu;
5. Destroyer project 052D Taiyuan;
6. Project 054A Huanggang frigate;